Legend: BLUE-open, RED-closed, GREEN-by donation
Click here to view the accidental yogist's map of los angeles yoga studios in a full-size page

Friday, January 12, 2007

a yoga must-read

i attended a yoga blessing class earlier this evening at a brand-new yoga studio near me (more on that in a future post) and, as i tend to do at a new place, i sat quietly at the back of the room and observed the students around me while we were waiting for class to start.

and while i couldn't help but notice the yoga newbies who showed up for class in their baggy 5K race tshirts and fleece sweatpants (which might be typical attire elsewhere, but not here in LA, at least not on the "hip" westside), my eye was drawn to the students who were supposedly warming up before the featured teacher showed up. yes, they were all young, blond yoginis who were wearing the latest in body-hugging yoga wear. one was holding in headstand, making it look effortless. another was in wheel, with her back arched perfectly. and yet another was in a seated straddle stretch, with her nose practically touching the floor.

and the first thing that came to my mind was: whom are they trying to impress?

anyway, once i got home and checked my email, i found a comment from yogadawg regarding my post about swami ramdev: Exactly the kind of claims regarding Yoga that I parody on my blog and website. I have to work this guy into my act.

with my curiosity now piqued, i checked yogadawg's website, my third eye itches. and i couldn't help but laugh as i read page after page, especially when i found this listed under "yoga students":

The Spoiler

Inner Dialog: Damn I'm good. Look at me go. I am the greatest. Check out all the students looking at me. They know I am the greatest. Watch me do this pose while everyone else is in Child pose. I'll get the teacher's attention now. Hot dog, she's looking at me. I'm bitchin' today. Ah, screw it that everyone else is doing a forward bend, check out my headstand everybody. Damn, I'm the greatest...


is yogadawg right on, or what?

so if you find yourself taking your yoga practice a bit too seriously, you owe it to yourself to check out this hilarious website!

2 Comments:

Anonymous yoga for beginners said...

I just came across your blog searching about yoga and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I say your site is nice! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

5:38 PM  
Blogger joni said...

thanks! glad i've found a new follower :)

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to My Most Recent Post